Lucy S. R. Austen is a freelance writer, editor, and author who loves sharing her enjoyment of reading, writing, and thinking. She has worked for Hewitt Homeschooling Resources as a high-school English evaluator, and as editor of Spring Hill Review, a journal of Pacific Northwest culture. Her textbooks, British Christian Authors and American Christian Authors, have been published by Hewitt as part of their Lightning Literature & Composition series.
2007-Present Lucy S. R. Austen: Freelance Writer Vancouver, WA
Freelance Writing, Editing, and Proofreading
Lightning Literature & Composition: British Christian Authors,
Hewitt Homeschooling, 2011, 978-1-57896-256-0
Lightning Literature & Composition: American Christian Authors,
Hewitt Homeschooling, 2006, 978-1-57896-258-7
Edited/proofread Shared Hope International Founder Linda Smith’s book Renting Lacy.
Edited/proofread various materials for Hewitt Homeschooling Resources.
• Consultant on Curriculum Development
Participated in development of Shared Hope International’s text-based and multi-media Renting Lacy discussion guides aimed at diverse groups: law enforcement, social work, churches, youth, etc.
• Scholarship Contest Judge, 2011, 2012
Read and evaluated student essays and made recommendations for scholarships awarded by Hewitt.
2003 – 2006 Hewitt Homeschooling Resources Washougal, WA
High-School English Evaluator, Editor/Proofreader
• Read and evaluated student work, worked with students to improve their writing. Edited and proofread manuscripts before publication.
• Required expert knowledge of literature and writing, both formal and creative, ability to communicate knowledge to students, careful attention to detail.
2002 – 2005 Spring Hill Review Brush Prairie, WA
• Responsibilities included screening all submissions, editing, recruiting writers and artists, deciding on and researching feature topics, layout, proofreading, final decisions regarding content.
• Required up-to-date knowledge of and research in community events, art, literature, history.
2001 – 2002 Spring Hill Review Brush Prairie, WA
• Responsibilities included screening poetry submissions, editing, final decisions regarding poetic content.
2000 – 2002 University of Washington Seattle, WA
Bachelor of Arts in English
• Emphasis in literature and writing.
• Annual Dean’s List student.
1998 – 2000 Clark Community College Vancouver, WA
Associate of Arts/General Studies
• Graduated with Honors.
• Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society member.
April Purtell, President, Hewitt Homeschooling Resources, 360.835.8707
Penny Hood, Development Manager, Shared Hope Intl, 360.695.9489
David Austen, CPA, Board Member, Shared Hope Intl, 360.260.9900
Carolyn Schultz-Rathbun, Owner, Spring Hill Review, 360.607.8273